Rap Dictionary:Generalized format
Content of articles in the Rap Dictionary
Most articles in the Rap Dictionary, specifically the terms and artists, are in a generalized format. This serves a more important purpose than just "pretty printing the text":
- it makes terms appear in the Rap Dictionary overview pages
- it structures the text for the reader
- it adds references
Let's take a look at the editpage for the term "21 & Lewis", for instance:
===noun=== '''21 & Lewis''' Streetcorner in Long Beach, California. "So I hooks a left on the 21 and Lewis" -- Warren G. (Regulate ) [http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/warren_g/gfunkera/regulate.wrg.txt]. [[Category:Terms]] [[Category:Nouns]] [[Category:Geography]]
The ===noun=== indicates this term is a noun. Some terms are used both as a noun and as a verb, or some names of rap artists are also nouns. In that case more headers can be added for each type of term.
Since this is a term a noun and a geography item, the three lines as the bottom make sure the term will appear in those categories. [[Category:Terms]] for example, will make sure "21 & Lewis" appears in the Terms list.
Valid categories are:
- [[Category:Terms]]: the main dictionary
- [[Category:Artists]]: the list of rap artists
- [[Category:Nouns]]: the nouns
- [[Category:Verbs]]: the verbs
- [[Category:Adjectives]]: the adjectives
- [[Category:Interjections]]: the interjections
- [[Category:Geography]]: geography related items
To proof the term is a rap related term and to provide an example of how it is used, a quote (along with the artist and song title) is added with a link to the complete lyrics. To make life easier, a "Find lyrics" field has been added to the bottom of every edit page. Using it will not break the ongoing edit, so use it often!