A borough northwest of downtown Toronto.
York is a community in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Formerly a separate city, it was one of six municipalities that amalgamated in 1998 to form the current city of Toronto. Its population as of the 2001 census was 150,255, the second smallest of the six former municipalities, yet it is one of the most ethnically diverse. By the 2006 census, the population had fallen somewhat, to 143,255. York Township was incorporated by Canada West in 1850 (Canada West later became Ontario in 1867 due to the Confederation), bounded in the west by the Humber River, in the east by what would become Victoria Park Avenue, and in the north by what would become Steeles Avenue. Etobicoke Township and Scarborough Township were located west and east, respectively, while the townships of Vaughan and Markham bordered on the north.
Oakwood and Vaughan was was developed in the 1910s to attract development in the growing township. In the 1920s, the character of the township changed, with its southern reaches abutting the city of Toronto taking on a more urban character, compared with the very rural character of the north. The decision was made to split the township in two, with the northern, rural portion becoming North York. The remaining, two pockets of unincorporated urban development at the north end of the city, were split by the village of North Toronto, which was by then a part of the City of Toronto. Within years, the Province of Ontario saw that this arrangement was impractical, and further subdivided York, creating the township of East York out of the eastern pocket. The Township of York contracted streetcar and bus services from the Toronto Transit Commission, but remained independent from Toronto.
York was part of the federation of twelve suburban municipalities that joined Toronto in 1954 to form Metropolitan Toronto. York's first and largest library, York Public Library, was built near the intersection of Eglinton Ave. West and Dufferin Street in 1964, later renamed Maria Shchuka and rebuilt in 2003. In 1967, it absorbed the village of Weston, and became the Borough of York, later known as the City of York. It was amalgamated into the new City of Toronto on January 1, 1998. Among non-visible minority groups, a sizeable group of Portuguese (southern half of Oakwood and Vaughan and along the whole southern part of York), Eastern European and German populations live in the area as well. Many Caribbean people live along Eglinton Ave. West or on Weston Road, many of whom belong to the Jamaican community. Africans such as Ghanaians, Nigerians, and Somalians live along Weston Road and Jane Street with many Latin Americans as well. Most of the Latin Americans are from Central America. Filipinos concentrate in the eastern half of the former city. The religious demographics of York vary from Roman Catholic in the southern half Oakwood and Vaughan to Anglican in Weston to even Rastafarian in Little Jamaica in the northern half of Oakwood and Vaughan and west along Eglinton Ave. West to slightly west of Keele Street. There are also significant numbers of Seventh-day Adventists, Pentecostals and Evangelical Christians.